Wednesday 17 June 2009

Bad Draw Times



I walk across King George's Field every day.

I've often had the suspicion that the world is generated as we travel through it, rather than being continuous. Once, whilst looking out of a plane window, I thought I saw a contrail being rotated into position. It was as though the people who put contrails in the sky had forgotten I'd be flying that day, and were rushing to get it finished.

This happens in computer games. To save memory, the environment is built as you get nearer to it, rather than being present all the time. This is called 'draw time'.

King George's Field can get very foggy. And when walking through the fog, it's like the world's draw times have suddenly got really short.

I was walking to work, so it would have been about 7:10 when I shot this.

No comments:

Post a Comment