Thursday 11 June 2009

Ditched Trolley

I walk across King George's Field every day.

On my way home one day, I noticed a number of shopping trolleys which had been abandoned in odd places. This is the second one I saw. It had been mercilessly tipped into this ditch, which runs along one side of the field, next to the path.

This is the sort of thing you could see every day. I'm sure there are thousands of ditches with trolleys dumped in them.

An observation about shopping trolleys: When taken out of their usual context, there is something anomalous about them. They tend to draw focus, and if not dominate, then at least subvert their surroundings. It's possibly because their shape is so unnatural. They don't look like they should function in conventional space.

But this one, lying on its side in this ditch, all alone, just looked pathetic.

I was walking home, so it would have been about 18:40 when I took this.

No comments:

Post a Comment